Who We Are
At Duell | Law we have a thorough working knowledge of every part of the franchise equation. The result – a franchise that lives up to its promise for generating income, expanding and delivering satisfaction.
Affordability | Quality Work | Franchise Experience |Proven Results
What We Offer
- Big city legal experience at a more affordable cost to our clients.
- Long term relationship with each of our clients built through providing exceptional legal service, responding quickly and caring about the success of our clients.
- Thorough, working knowledge of every part of the franchise equation that creates a solid foundation for a franchise that lives up to its promise of generating income and delivering satisfaction.
- Updated information in the form of Newsletters and Podcasts that keeps our clients apprised of opportunities and risks arising from changes in various state and federal statutes and legal decisions.
- The Client. As a Duell | Law client, your success defines our mission and guides everything we do. Whether it is a transaction, complex structuring advice or the successful resolution of a franchise dispute, we are dedicated to achieving the best possible result in a cost-efficient manner.
- Integrity. The key to our success at Duell | Law rests on our commitment to the highest ethical and professional standards. Demonstrated by our exemplary reputation with clients and peers, we provide excellence in the quality of our work, every step of the way.
- Dedication. We completely immerse ourselves in each client’s business and goals so that we can precisely identify—and effectively deliver—the outcome most desired for your specific situation. Nowhere else will you find a firm whose clients receive more personal and consistent attention.
- Adaptability. Our innovative and forward-thinking approach helps us fully understand and anticipate our clients’ needs, while consequently implementing uniquely-tailored strategies that minimize risk and most effectively helps your business.
Why Duell | Law
Richard Duell, Managing Member of Duell | Law, has been practicing franchise law for over 35 years. His success is based upon the close attention and care provided clients. At Duell | Law, we take the time to get to know your franchise business thoroughly and gain insight into your specific needs. Working side-by-side, we will formulate and implement the best strategy that enables your franchise business to move forward successfully. Throughout the entire process, we will be available for every question and concern you have, no matter how minute.
The meticulousness of our attention to your situation is matched only by its longevity. By creating long-term solutions for our clients, we forge durable relationships with them. The loyalty we develop with our clients allows us to work ceaselessly to ensure that our knowledge of your franchise business, case or concerns is so intimate that we can anticipate changes in your landscape before they even occur. With clients who have depended on us for nearly two decades now, Duell | Law is a firm whose client relationships translate into unparalleled dedication and reliability.
With the skill, energy and level of personal service we feel can bring to your franchise legal matters, we are very interested in learning more about you and helping you determine if we can be of assistance. Please take a minute to talk with us about your concerns. Whether you are a current franchisor, new franchisor, purchasing a franchise or existing franchisee, just call 205-408-3025 or fill out a contact form, and see for yourself just how closely we engage ourselves in addressing the individual concerns of every client.
Meet the Attorney
Richard Duell III
Franchise Legal Services
Richard C. Duell III – Rated “AV” by Martindale-Hubbell
Richard Duell, Managing Member of Duell | Law, has earned a nationwide reputation successfully representing both franchisors and franchisees. This distinguishes him from most law firms, which generally have experience representing only one side in the franchise industry. His knowledge of both sides of the franchise model gives him a deep understanding of and a broader perspective on the dynamics between the two, which enables him to explain the intricacies of franchise law to our clients and apply that knowledge and experience to our clients’ advantage.
Richard consults regularly with Franchisors considering expansion both within the United States and Internationally. His expertise helps Franchisors adhere to franchise relationship laws, and comply with disclosure and franchise registration and renewal registrations throughout the United States as well as internationally. He represents various franchise clients from the east coast to the west coast. When franchise disagreements occur, Richard assists clients by first carefully identifying the problem and when necessary, resolves disputes through mediation, arbitration or litigation.
With 35 years of franchise law experience, Richard has been rated “AV” for more than 25 years by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest possible rating from this universally recognized rating source. Richard has authored numerous franchising articles and speaks often on franchising law. He is also the author of the monthly newsletter Franchisor Alert® which features franchising articles and provides valuable insight for emerging and mature franchisors.
Richard is a member of the Franchise Committee of the International Bar Association and member of the Franchising Committee, Section of Anti-Trust Law of the American Bar Association. In addition, he is a member of the American Bar Association’s Forum Committee on Franchising and the Subcommittee on Franchising of the Section of Corporation, Banking and Business Laws, Small Business Committee. Richard is licensed to practice law in Alabama and before the United States Supreme Court, the Eleventh and Fifth Circuits of the United States Court of Appeals and all United States District Courts of Alabama. Richard is known for successfully promoting franchising within his home state of Alabama and co-founded the Alabama Franchise Alliance in 2010 to help further franchising in Alabama. He has also served the Birmingham Bar Association as Chairman of the Fee Arbitration Committee, the Economics of Law Committee as Chairman, and as a member of the Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee, Civil Court Procedure Committee, Budget Committee, Lawyer Advertising and Solicitation Committee, Alternate Dispute Resolution Committee and Special Assignments Committee.
Richard received his Doctor of Jurisprudence at Samford University’s Cumberland School of Law and his undergraduate degree in Business Administration from Auburn University. He was selected to be on the panel for the International Franchise Association (IFA) Expo in Washington, D.C, speaking on Multi-Unit and Multi-Concept Franchising, sponsored by Franchise Times. Richard has been voted as one of Birmingham’s top attorneys for numerous years, selected by his peers for recognition as Best Attorneys in Alabama, Best Lawyers in America, Best Law Firms by U.S. News and World Report and was chosen for the Honors Division of the Worldwide Registry (Franchise Law).